Monday, October 18, 2010

HOG WASH!!! HSUS at it again

I love pigs!!!  Always have, always will.
(And you guys though I loved only cattle.) 
 
But this is one pig collectible that I won't be buying.
 
The Humane Society of the United States just emailed info on their holiday fundraising products.  And the ornament is being showcased this year.  The website says it takes 77 hands to create this work of art that retails for $19.95. 
 
If their track record stays true to form, that means that only about one cent of that which is raised from ornament sales will go to actually helping animals. Only about 1/2 of 1% of what they raise goes to animal care. Here's the analysis
 
Aren't they exploiting farm animals to make a buck? Isn't that what they say farmers shouldn't do? 

Do you think it's wrong for them to do this?
 
Photo: from the HSUS website.

7 comments:

  1. Just think $20 a head is sometimes all the profit a cattle rancher might make. What if that money went to them so they could continue to farm in a sustainable way. Very unfortunate, but not surprising. I certainly don't want to see one of those on my Christmas tree.

    www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The HSUS sucks a$$! They have a bill in Missouri right now trying to go at "puppy mills" but basically they are going after agriculture too with this bill and people aren't being informed of this. I wish they'd go rot in hell. just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal and Nicole,
    I couldn't agree with you more. The hypocrisy of what they do just kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe they should have a fundraiser for the people making the ornaments. Seventy-seven people divided over the $19.95 price of the ornament is 25 cents per person, BEFORE any materials and overhead. Really think these ornaments were handmade in the USA? Don't exploit the animals, but the people, well, that's a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy,
    Great point. I wish I had thought of that. I wonder if I can find some details on where these were manufactured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Just found this blog, while reading my daily humanewatch.org. You will now be on my favorites list. I milk jersey cows and raise a few puppies. My kids want to take over the family farm, but personally our futre looks sort of bleak. Prop B lost by 60,000 votes. Those 60,000 votes came from the city slickers that have not set foot on a farm in 15 years! Rural missouri overwhelmingly passed it. Good thing we accomplished with B. We educated over a million Missourians to the truth about HSUS. AND YES, prob B was a foot hold to go after Missouri's Agriculture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Opps Typo ..... Rural Missouri Voted NOT to pass it.

    ReplyDelete